Coconut water has become a popular product for the health-minded set over the last couple of years. Consumed as a refreshing drink and is gaining popularity as asports drink among athletes. Coconut water can be used to produce nata de coco (a jelly-likefood) and coconut vinegar (when fermented).
Coconut water is simply the water in the coconut shell. Coconut water is found in young, green coconuts. This pure liquid is packed with nutrients that yield an array of health benefits. It's extremely hydrating and is full of vitamins and minerals. Naturally refreshing, coconut water has a sweet taste. It contains easily digested carbohydrate in the form of sugar and electrolytes.
Health Benefits of Coconut Water
- Antioxidant properties. Coconut water is fat free and has low calories. It has many antioxidants.
- Cures dehydration. Coconut water cures dehydration and acts as an antioxidant.
- Good potassiun content. There are 600 milligrams of potassium in a serving of coconut water.
- Low glycemic. Coconut water have added sugar and could cause a spike in your blood sugar.
- A source of other nutrients. A cup of coconut water has 15% of the daily value for magnessium. 17% for manganese, and 10% for vitamin C.
- Source for sodium. One cup of coconut water contains about 250 milligrams of sodium which helps it hydrating which lost through sweat.
- Electrolytes. Coconut water contains electrolytes, as well as others like calcium and magnesium which helps the body cells to carry electrical impulses.
Health benefits of coconut water for babies
- Remedy for gastrointestinal diseases.
- Rossesses antibacterial properties.
- Treats urinary tract infections.
- Best source for rehydration.
- Remedy for bilious fever.
- Can treat cholera.
The best way to enjoy coconut water is straight from the coconut. But you can try another way to enjoy coconut water.
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 cucumber
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 Tbs. chia seeds
- 1-2 cups pineapple (fresh or frozen)
- Add ice if using fresh pineapple
Note: Drinking to much of coconut water everyday is not advisable as it has some health risk, increase in potassium content, increase in weight (due to natural sugar content in coconut water) and impact on blood sugar levels.